[pianotech] key position at rest

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 06:06:28 PDT 2009

>I'm not sure, but it appears that having some
>angle on the capstan was  "beneficial."

I usually find that changing the capstan angle from16 or 20 degrees
to about 3 degrees has the action regulate a little better in regards to
after touch.

To find this angle and location I mark the magic line intersection on the
cushion and scribe a line perpendicular to the heel at that point. With
the mechanism set at half blow, extent that scribed line onto the key stick.

This usually relocates the hole back one half of the shank diameter and
makes the angle less acute. It allows the rear of the capstan to engage
the cushion thus accelerating the wippen through to a more positive
after touch.

Regards,

Jon Page