[pianotech] Miking a piano

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Mar 15 06:55:28 PDT 2009

Thanks to all for there input
?I just installed a stereo set of D.P.A. mikes obtained from WWW.Sweetwater.com?on the Yamaha C-6 at our Covenant church.??? They were recommended to me by a friend & music prof at Modesto JC David Dow who also has a sweet little recording studio & has tried many types of mic for recording piano sound. He tried other versions of these & found that for the money this was as good as it needed to be. This pair was $999.00
?? Before this however I installed a new set of Weickert felt hammers & it transformed the piano. My ultimate goal was to have the piano sounding as acoustically optimal as possible? first & then locate mics that replicated that sound faithfully thru the house mains.
?After trying different positions on the inside of the piano it was decided that the sound was?best when attached to the lid near the bass & treble section not far from the dampers. This eliminated ancillary noises coming from the damper pedal/dampers & any resonate action/key bed noise. These baby's are very sensitive.?
? It has been a desire of mine for many year to find a set up like this to faithfully reproduce the acoustic sound in this near field application. This application allows for a quality sound with the lid open or closed And the acoustic feedback for the pianist is phenomenal. Very inspiring.
? David Andersen just recorded a CD at the atelier of Mike Garson on the Stwy D He,Steve B. I remanufactured. His recording?wizard used a variety of mikes with different characteristics that did a fantastic live recording with near field mic.
?? I usually?despise this style of?recording but this interesting method of mixing & matching mic.s?really?faithfully replicated?the true acoustic flavor/ability of this piano & the artistry of Mr. Mike Garson. A pure delight. Some cuts are on David's new & improved web site.
? Cut 1 Is oh what a beautiful morning improv & re harmonization.

? Dale Erwin
?Note:
?The Steinway D piano has a rib crowned & supported board with redesigned 21 rib scale.
?

-----

Hey guys ... don't forget this mic?arrangement. ?I saw this yesterday on a first-time piano. <G>

?

--?
JF