[pianotech] key position at rest

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 09:01:47 PDT 2009

>Is there an established general guideline with respect to the height of the
>damper flange center such that with a given damper flange center height the
>height of the key end felt off the key bed should be x.

If the key lifts the underlever to 1 3/4" (a) and the lever center
pin is 3/8" (b)
from the under side of the lever then to lift the lever to parallel with the
  key bed would have the pivot located a+b = 2 1/8" (if pivot is located in-line
with the flange centers).

A line drawn from the balance rail hole to the underlever flange center would
need to encompass the thickness of the back rail cloth. For all practical
purposes, I think it is overkill unless you are redesigning or reestablishing
the system and I doubt its impact with so many different designs (spoons)
and it being outside of the actual action mechanism.

So to answer your question, if the underlever center is 2 1/8".
Subtract the center distance from the underside of the lever -3/8"
Subtract key end travel (or dip) -3/8"
Key end felt height = 1 3/8"
That is, if you are lifting the lever to parallel with the keybed.

Regards,

Jon Page