[pianotech] Has anyone ever seen anything like this????

Steve Blasyak atuneforyou at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 12:20:49 PDT 2009

Hey Now to all,

OK mildew it is then.

I may not be as experienced as some on the list, but I have seen at least
several hundred on pianos of similar age a type around Southern California
over the years. I have never seen anything growing on an action quite like
this. I do not think the white fuzz was produced by any rodent. I did not
find any droppings and I cleaned the piano thoroughly. I would guess that
being So Cal is virtually a desert (now an asphalt desert). We have to
import most of our water, you don't normally find the damp environment to
produce this type of mildew growth. This 1953 Kimball console is in
Huntington Harbor and the back yard is a boat dock. It has been there for
many years according to the client. So my guess is it took a few decades for
it look like that. I cleaned it up by blowing it out with my shop vac
(outside of course), and using a paint brush to get into hard to reach
places. I used 250 grit sand paper on the damper felt in the bass to get the
crusty zinger stuff off and just needle voiced the flats. Worked pretty good
for the most part. I mean it still had damping issues but it took the
buzzinger sound out of the felt contacting the string.

The dude abides.

Steve Blasyak
Orange County Chapter

Prua Vida