[pianotech] capstain/wippen angle, was: key position at rest

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Mar 15 13:27:23 PDT 2009

 Mike
  I remember Chris R. using the term frictionless envolute. Does this eliminate any problems ...or make things worse in the theoretical world?
  Dale

Mike S wrote

This topic has interested / confounded me for years, and it's been frustrating particularly because my engineering background, which included a stint in the gear manufacturing industry, should allow me to make sense of it.

First, thank you Nick for the link to Wikepedia. Look carefully at the animation, and read the accompanying text. Notice that the reason for using the involute in gears is not to eliminate sliding friction - sliding friction and wear is listed as the main drawback of involute gears, hence the need for effective lubrication on gears. The involute's strength is that it transmits angular motion very smoothly. And it turns out that, as you work with the pressure angle and other parameters to optimize smoothness, tooth strength, and power ratings, you end up increasing the amount of sliding. Also, note the definition of "involute": "the spiraling curve traced by the end of an imaginary taut string unwinding itself from that stationary circle". Does anybody really believe that the top of the capstain, or the heel of the wippen, are shaped like true involutes? But they do share one similarity with involute gear teeth: They slide.

When Ron Overs unveiled his new action geometry in Reno, I was certain he had discovered and corrected a major flaw in piano action design. While standard parts d
on't allow us to go as far as Ron did, we could at least convert angled capstain actions to vertical capstains. So why, when I did just that (S&S L) did it make no improvement, possibly made it worse??

I like Dale's explanation: *The broad faced angled capstan actually has an accelerating effect when positioned properly. At rest, the key side edge of the Broad faced capstan touches on the wippen felt edge furthest from the wippen center pin. As the capstan/wippen moves thru its rotation the capstan moves upwards & rotates to the middle of the capstan & then to the rear edge. SO, as it continues thru its arc, the point at which the wippen is lifted moves to the rear edge of the capstan & closer to the wippen pin thereby accelerating the key/action motion. Kind of an automatic transmission affect.Things move faster without shifting.
*If sliding friction is unimportant (especially if it's minimized by polishing the cap and teflonning the wip heel), and if the change in leverage during the stroke works as Dale describes, that would explain my experience, and also the results of the "what happens if..?" experiments.

Lots of good new information this morning, need time to digest it.

Mike