[pianotech] high leverage action

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sun Mar 15 17:12:59 PDT 2009

In a message dated 3/15/2009 3:09:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
pianoguru at cox.net writes:

Dale  Erwin’s practice of measuring hammer movement for a predetermined key
movement  is much superior for determining the ratios.
When this came up a couple of months ago, I pointed out that the weakness  in
this (which in Dale's method used only a fixed, limited portion of
keystroke) lies in the (unpredictably) changing ratios as the action goes  through its
motions. I prefer to use the whole keystroke, using a fixed setup of  1.75
inches blow (only for measurement - I might change it later); .040  aftertouch
(ditto), and an otherwise regulated note, to see what kind of dip it  produces.
I think this gives me a more accurate feel for the whole distance  ratio, and
has the advantage of using larger movements which I think increase  the
accuracy.

Bob Davis