[pianotech] capstain/wippen angle

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Mar 16 00:42:13 PDT 2009

Been trying to visualize this a bit and have the following to ask you
all about.

Consider a capstan that was a brass roller instead of what we have
today. So that as the key move and the capstan raises the whippen this
brass roller simply rolls along the underside of the heal.  Wouldn't
this result in the roller-capstan starting off further back on the heal
(closer to the whippen flange) then it ends up ? I.e. the opposite of
this increasing leverage concept ?  And if that is the case.... then
wouldn't it be more likely that the best a tilted standard capstan could
achieve is to more or less compensate for that ?

Cheers
RicB

    MIKE writes:

    As the capstan/wippen moves thru its rotation the capstan moves
    upwards & rotates to the middle of the capstan & then to the rear
    edge. SO, as it continues thru its arc, the point at which the
    wippen is lifted moves to the rear edge of the capstan & closer to
    the wippen pin thereby accelerating the key/action motion. Kind of
    an automatic transmission affect.Things move faster without shifting.