[pianotech] capstain/wippen angle, was: key position at rest

V T pianovt at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 16 15:54:32 PDT 2009

I think this is a case where two parameters are available for optimizing. One is friction, and the other is the action ratio. However, the question is which of the two is more important to optimize?

We can minimize the friction during the stroke, as Ron Overs did. This actually tilts the capstan in the opposite direction from what S&S did. Alternatively, we can explore if there is some benefit to a ratio that changes as a function of key position. When I last looked at Steinway’s tilted heel/capstan geometry, I concluded that the design intent was a changing ratio rather than minimal friction. This may very well be the biggest “secret” of the so-called accelerated action.