[pianotech] Some Observations & Questions Regarding Partials & Inharmonicity

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 04:24:53 PDT 2009

Tyler:

The only time you can hear the beat rate of two fundamentals is when
tuning a unison, but then you are probably listening to higher
partials because they beat faster, unless you are tuning unisons in
the high treble. This may be the only place that fundamentals are
actually tuned together. What you are describing may be what I guess
others call “whole tone” tuning: listening to the most obvious
beat(s).

I had many of the same questions at one time, and still have a few. I
worked out many answers by studying a paper on inharmonicity (see link
below) and looking at the iH graphs of many pianos (see other link
below).

http://www.afn.org/~afn49304/youngnew.htm

http://www.goptools.com/gallery.htm

I may be able to respond in more detail later, but I hope that others
more knowledgeable than me will answer your questions so that I can
learn more, too.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.