[pianotech] OT: Perfect pitch and temperaments

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Tue Mar 17 05:25:14 PDT 2009

Greetings,

      How can anyone have perfect pitch?

      Yesterday,  I tuned for a retired piano  tuner, who had tuned his piano
about 3 months ago. (I dont know why he hired me)  He says he has perfect
pitch.   Lo and behold, when I examined  his work, although 3 months a "worn"
tuning, it was pretty much "dead on".

     Question:  Now, if a person  "au moderne" (nowdays) says they have
perfect pitch, were/are humans' ears  built differently than say, in Beethoven's
day, where those living at  that time who claimed that they had perfect  pitch???

      I dont get it. Does the human ear get  used to what temperaments are in
vogue at the time?

Julia
Reading, PA