[pianotech] Tunic software

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Tue Mar 17 06:24:13 PDT 2009

Hi all.

I know I'm a few days late on this discussion, but after
reading some comments here, I feel compelled to add my 2
cents. I also want you to know that my experience with ETDs
is limited to just one, and I do not have an understanding
of how the others work.

A few years ago, after talking to Dave Andersen and Tom
Servinsky, I started on my quest to 'tune like Virgil'. I
find Virgil a fascinating study in accuracy, spot-on
unisons, and the ability to do all that while teaching a
class is just phenomenal. I always felt my best aural
tunings were as good or better than the tunings I was
getting from my ETD. Cocky? no. Confident. I learned how to
tune aurally from using my ETD as my guide, but after
watching Virgil, hearing what he was producing, and talking
to those techs, I realized I was woefully behind those techs
in my personal quest to bring each piano I service to its
pinnacle. I better mention that Larry Crabb might be a tad
upset with me if I didn't mention his influence and his
involvement in my development of aural tuning. He taught me
what to listen for, and how to test.

A few years pass while I'm on my quest to sound like Virgil,
Dave, and others that I felt were steps ahead of me
aurally..always asking questions, and trying to listen and
hear what I was missing in my tunings..

..then I heard Tunic.

I remember hearing Bernhard's example that he shared on
pianotech..a piece in Bmin. - and I remember thinking..oh
my..that's it. There were some comments that his sample was
a nicely tuned piano with a good voice attached to it. I
could not have disagreed more. What I heard was a tuning
that transcended anything I had heard before from a ETD, or
was able to produce consistently aurally.

Last year in Anaheim, Dave Andersen was there with a
piano..so was the Ranvenscroft. Both of these instruments
impressed me with their clarity and translucent voice. I
forget which one, but I believe one of those pianos was
tuned using Tunic. As a new RVP, the majority of my time was
tied up, literally!, in meetings, so I was not able to take
in all that Anaheim had to offer. I met up with Bernhard in
the lobby..on Sunday..as people are leaving from their
Convention experience, I'm finally getting to mine, and it's
with a developer that shared with me 'the sound' I was
after. After talking with Bernhard for 1.5 hrs., I agreed to
purchase his software as soon as I was able. It took me 2
months to save up the money, and it has been a fabulous
journey since then. My older ETD, while a trustworthy
instrument and faithful tool, has been relegated to strictly
pitch raises and poorly-scaled pianos. It has been replaced
with Bernhards OnlyPure software, because the results that
are produced with this software turns heads.

I still tune aurally once in awhile, but Bernhard Stopper
has developed the software that Virgil Smith has been
hearing all his life. I would have never guessed that a
piece of piano tuning software would ever be able to produce
Virgil Smith-type tunings without alot of tweaking and
gnashing of teeth with the software. With Tunic, you turn it
on, and go. I does not get any simpler than that. The
results turns heads.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)