[pianotech] capstain/wippen angle, was: key position at rest

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Tue Mar 17 07:50:13 PDT 2009

---- V T <pianovt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In the case of the S&S half round, the contact point is better defined when
> the hole is centered on the half round. However, _if_ they really did
> intentionally drill the holes off-center,....

I have a set of replacement balance fulcrums which are drill on center.  If memory serves, I seem to recall some that were off center on the bottom, but not on top.  The hole was drilled at an angle to match the angle of the balance pin, with the surface contacting the key being centered.  I remember having to be careful to not rotate the fulcrum 180 degrees so the base does not lie flat on the balance rail.  I believe they also marked the front edge to make it more obvious if they are reverse.  It may be that they changed this at some point, since the replacement fulcrums do not have this angle.

Frank Emerson