[pianotech] Perfect Pitch and Temperament

johndelmore at suddenlink.net johndelmore at suddenlink.net
Tue Mar 17 12:27:45 PDT 2009

Put me in the "pitch memory" crowd.  I don't think anyone "has" or that there even "is" such a thing as "perfect pitch".  I think it's just exceptional pitch memory.

Think about it:  if "perfect pitch" is the ability to identify a note by ear, can you tell when a "sharp A" becomes a "flat Bb"?  What about the poor souls with "perfect pitch" before A440 was standard?  Were they constantly perturbed?  Oh, so you can have "perfect 435 pitch"?  Well..whose is "perfect"?

Nope.  Can't see anything "perfect" about it...

But I have very good pitch memory, and have met others whose pitch memory was exceptional far beyond my own...