[pianotech] Tuning in a down economy

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Mar 17 17:35:42 PDT 2009

< This is my way of telling those of you who are seeing a decline in your
business that there is nothing wrong with offering your services at less
than what you are worth.>

So far, your anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that it isn't working. And
for you to make up what you are loosing with a 30% discount will require a
43% increase in business. My gut feeling is that price is not really the
issue, it's a priority thing and we fall somewhere below groceries. I just
raised my price $3 and so far have not lost a single customer because of it.

I suspect you would have gotten just as good a result with a minimal 5-10%
discount when all is said and done. You just need something to get people to
schedule now. I offer a $4 discount if people schedule by email. Some take
advantage, many do not. I'm making more phone calls and scheduling people
that I haven't heard from for more than 6-10 years. I'm using ACT! now as my
contact manager and it is allowing me to keep phone logs of all my
conversations, very nice.

I am thinking about a special mailing to all who haven't tuned in more than
10 years, telling them since it has been so long it will likely need an
expensive pitch raise, then offer to tune it for the regular price.

Another idea I have is to send a postcard mailer and offer a $4 discount if
they get a friend to schedule at the same time, a discount for them and the
friend. Our clients know other people with pianos. We need to tap into that
networking.

Here's another: send a packet of 15-20 cards to a piano teacher for them to
pass out to students. Have them pre-printed with the Teacher's name on it
and all of your contact info. Offer a $5 discount if they present the card
in the next thirty days for a tuning. Tell the teacher that for every card
you tune you will discount a tuning for the teacher by $5; enough cards and
her tuning is free.

Our client base is our number one source for business. Working it is going
to pay us the greatest dividends. Make some calls. Send out mailers. Other
than that I would recommend just using the free Craig's List, or other local
free internet classifieds.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272