[pianotech] Tuning in a down economy

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 17 18:58:45 PDT 2009

Hi Willem and All,

I have had great success at phone calling.  However, I admit that I HATE IT!!!  I MEAN I HATE IT!!!  So, I have my wife do it who is a great people person.  People love talking to her.

I used to have a secretary do it for me for many years which also worked good but, good help is hard to keep as they move on for bigger n better things.  You need someone that has an excellent phone personality, will do it consistently and don't stop.  However, I do return the calls myself that come in during the day while I'm out tuning.

First, I make a list of priorities.

1.  My college comes first.   2nd, my churches.  3rd, my schools, 4th, other organizations, retirement homes etc., and 5th, homes.  All of these are my regular's who are always called first.   My customers are so accustomed to me calling them that they wait for that phone call and usually schedule.  The organizations love it the best as they no longer have to worry about anything at all.  They know I'll call them.

I don't have a serious problem with people not answering their phones and I try to NOT leave very many messages.  Messages get deleted. I call again.  Once in a while, I will leave this message after I've tried several times with no answer or have left a message or two.  "Okkkkkk, we're playing phone tag now, and YOU'RE IT!  I'm going onto the next months calls now and giggle as I hang up.."  You'd be surprised at how often they get such a kick out of that, they call and schedule knowing full well that I also mean it because I've done it before and not called again until the next year.

Next, I try and schedule them all for as far ahead as they can or are willing to book for all of their events that may be taking place.

With my college, I book by semester.  I have a few schools that will book the entire school year.  Churches, for months ahead if they know when concerts or other events are.

I only give a discount when 2 or more pianos are tuned but, I have been known to help out a cliente in need.  Especially now.  Recently, I gave a good client that was falling on hard times a big discount telling her that I don't normally do this but, would X amount instead of x amount work for you?  She thanked me up and down and scheduled.  I laughed, saying you're welcome but, don't get used to it now!  Which also made her laugh too thanking me again…

Sending cards isn't always a great way to get customers I've found but, it does help and sometimes, people will call a couple 3, 4 months later.   My biggest thing, is to stay on top of my regular's.  They are our main bread n butter.

Work the higher end clientele homes first, working your way down the ladder.

Last year, my income was down by about $10,000 but, that was due to some reconditioning jobs I did at my college that we didn't have to do again this past year.  So far this year, my income is up, (without raising my prices) by about $4,000.  Knock on wood…