[pianotech] Getting Some Help for Calling!

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Tue Mar 17 20:30:09 PDT 2009

Hello list,

This is really in response to the "Tuning in a Down Economy Thread", but since
I'm going off on a (related) tangent, I thought a new subject line might be in
order.

A comment I've often read here has been how calling is the most effective way
to follow up on customers to book repeat tunings.  I'll agree with that.  I
also HATE calling, too.  I have someone do it for me.  She's great at it.
 She's very gentle and pleasant to talk to.  My customers really APPRECIATE
her calls.

I just read a post where the writer said he USED to have someone do his
calling because, like me, he hates doing it himself.  BUT good people move
onward and upward to bigger and better things.  How true.  I went through a
lot of that whole thing, too.

THEN, a social services worker asked me if I wouldn't mind taking on a
trainee.  A disabled person.  I could have her for NO CHARGE for about 8
weeks, I think it was.  And if at the end of 8 weeks I didn't want to keep
her, then I didn't have to.  Welp, it's been over 10 years now.  She's GREAT.
 She doesn't spell well, makes a certain amount of bookkeeping mistakes, and
is sometimes frustrated by the computer, but she's Loyal, Trustworthy, Honest,
and all kinds of other Boy Scout/Girl Scout-type goodness.  She's also
persistent and follows through on all the tasks I assign.  (NOT MY strong
suit!)

Her disability?  (If you want to ask)  I'm not sure.  Some kind of respiratory
thing, I think.  She can only work for so long.  And if I'm in the shop with
any kind of chemical (high VOC) kind of thing, I have to keep the door closed.

I couldn't be more pleased.

So perhaps there's a similar program in your area and you could inquire about
it.  These people are very grateful for the opportunity to work.  (We also
hired one at the store I work at)

John Dorr
Helena, MT