[pianotech] Perfect Pitch and Temperaments

Tyler Ferrari tylerferrari at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 17 22:25:36 PDT 2009

I think we can use whatever term that we want. We all know what we're really talking about so there's no reason to semanticize about the term.
"Absolute pitch" is obviously a colloquial term that refers to the
ability to recall a note without a reference. I don't believe that a critical
mind would interpret the term literally, considering the point made about A440
being a reference vs. another frequency.

I see no practical musical use for perfect pitch. Obviously someone reading
this e-mail can come up with a variety of uses, none of which actually improve
the ability to write music, or tune a piano (as already stated).

It is a skill that, if possible, would weigh into an IQ test, or some other
form of measuring intelligence. Just because "pitch" is related to
"music" doesn't mean that being able to name or reproduce a
particular pitch (note) has anything to do with music itself. That, is probably
the most important point to remember.

Just because some of the words and terms are familiar, doesn't mean it actually
fits in to the category of music. It's an impressive skill that does allow a
dissection of something musical, but may in fact be limited only to the actual
act of dissection - not the ability to do anything with the dissection's
results.

-Tyler