[pianotech] 6 or 8 mm foot to gauge for action analysis

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Wed Mar 18 07:44:36 PDT 2009

Dale wrote:
  I thought about doing some experiments by modifying the foot on my gauge to
8 mm. A 6 to 1 ratio with An 8 mm foot will cause 48 mm of hammer rise. In
which case the let-off button would need to be screwed up on many actions
which is only slightly inconvenient but This modification would take into
account more of the hammer travel as Bob suggested.
  Of course a lower ratio say 5.5 to 1 creates only 44 mm of hammer rise so in
most c ases would be very workable. Routinely though action ratios seem to
average something like 5.3 to 6.3.Yes, there are anomaly on either side of
this..
    I think I'll do some comparison testing of a 6 mm & 8 mm foot on the
action ratio block & see how much of a difference is had by allowing more of
the entire key stroke come into the equation. This may be especially important
when diagnosing the angled capstan systems we've been discussing.

PS Dale -- how's that Steinway L from Montana coming along?

Dale,

I'm vitally interested in what you find out there.  If you, and others, recall
-- I wrote that article on regulating without specs by analyzing action ratios
in this manner.  I'll be presenting a couple of classes in that in Grand
Rapids and I'm planning on making a bunch of those 6 or 8 mmm key depressors
for that reason.  I want to make a good decision between those two
measurements.  (heck, maybe I'll make BOTH, and generate more class
discussion)

BTW, I think it was David Anderson (forgive me, David, if I'm wrong) who said
my methods seemed kind of "propeller head-ish", and I LOVED that.  Ed Sutton
further teased me about recognizing me in the halls by my propeller-head
beanie.  Welp, I've located them online, the beanies, that is, and I WILL be
so attired!  Look for me.

John Dorr
Helena, MT