[pianotech] Polyester Finishing

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed Mar 18 19:47:34 PDT 2009

Hi List, Michael,

Just finished up polishing a music desk (just the hinged part) using
Menzerna paste compounds with 8" lambswool buffing pads, not wheels.
Everything came out sparkly.  I'm actually pleased.

In answer to my own question, if anyone is using these pastes, MINERAL
SPIRITS is the wetting agent of choice.  Add a little to the tub if it
begins to dry out.  It also works well for keeping the work surface moist
while buffing.  I kept a squeeze bottle of spirits right there, squirting a
little on occasionally.  the slop is messy, but more easily contained for me
than dust.  For the small shop (read: action balancing and finish repairs in
the same room) it works better for me than dealing with all that dust.  I
curse enough when I buff keytops/capstans/etc. with my buffing wheels.

All the same, I sincerely appreciate everyone's input on this.

William R. Monroe