[pianotech] Donating tunings and tax deductions

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 19 07:38:32 PDT 2009

Apparently this is a very misunderstood principle.  Frequently when I am approached about doing a donation of tuning services, part of the "hook" is to remind me that I can deduct it.  I then have to explain that service is nondeductable and the only way I can right it off is if I first report it as income, which is a wash.

If you want to donate your services, do it out of the kindness of your heart and don't worry about the tax consequences.

Jim Johnson