[pianotech] Polyester Finishing

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Thu Mar 19 11:25:13 PDT 2009

HI William,

I hope you are using an air powered buffer if you are using mineral
spirits as a lubricant;  the fumes created by mineral spirits are
highly flammable, and an explosion or fire can be set off by the
sparks in an electric motor.  While you are buffing, the buffer sits
right in the zone with the highest concentration of fumes, emitting
tiny sparks dozens or hundreds of times a second.  That's one of the
main reasons I went ahead and sprung for a 60 gallon compressor, even
though my shop is quite small, also.

I'm not trying to criticize, just point out the standard advice given
in the woodworking field.  You are obviously quite committed to
quality piano work; we can't afford to see you end up looking like
Wile E. Coyote after receiving one of the Road Runner's TNT
"returns" (probably yet again from the Acme Corporation).  I know that
you can "get away" with using mineral spirits as a lubricant with
electric tools for some undetermined period of time, but why take the
chance?

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh