[pianotech] Polyester Finishing

Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 20 05:13:47 PDT 2009

Just use bar compounds and forget the new buffer and possible fire problems. Besides, they work better. Here's a link, http://www.alliedintlinc.com/compoundspolish.html

Al

  From: William Monroe
  Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:21 PM
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Subject: Re: [pianotech] Polyester Finishing

  Joe,

  Thanks for the warning.  Indeed, I've been using an electric buffer (milwaukee - good quality so it can't create a fire, right?  <G>)  I'd hate to look like Wile E.  I'm such a looker as it is.  <G><G>

  Marc suggests there isn't fire danger, anything to add to that?  I'm all for not taking chances, but also prefer to operate with clear knowledge rather than suspicion (if I have it - which at this point I don't).

  I do have a large enough compressor, but would rather not spring for a new buffer - not to mention the ever popular, "WHAT DID YOU SAY, MY COMPRESSOR IS RUNNING" syndrome.

  Awaiting more information.

  William R. Monroe

    MINERAL SPIRITS ARE NOT FLAMMABLE. They are combustible - flash point is greater than 100 °

     Marc

    HI William,

    I hope you are using an air powered buffer if you are using mineral spirits as a lubricant;  the fumes created by mineral spirits are highly flammable, and an explosion or fire can be set off by the sparks in an electric motor.  While you are buffing, the buffer sits right in the zone with the highest concentration of fumes, emitting tiny sparks dozens or hundreds of times a second.  That's one of the main reasons I went ahead and sprung for a 60 gallon compressor, even though my shop is quite small, also.

    I'm not trying to criticize, just point out the standard advice given in the woodworking field.  You are obviously quite committed to quality piano work; we can't afford to see you end up looking like Wile E. Coyote after receiving one of the Road Runner's TNT "returns" (probably yet again from the Acme Corporation).  I know that you can "get away" with using mineral spirits as a lubricant with electric tools for some undetermined period of time, but why take the chance?

    Joe DeFazio

    Pittsburgh

      In answer to my own question, if anyone is using these pastes, MINERAL SPIRITS is the wetting agent of choice.  Add a little to the tub if it begins to dry out.  It also works well for keeping the work surface moist while buffing.  I kept a squeeze bottle of spirits right there, squirting a little on occasionally.  the slop is messy, but more easily contained for me than dust.  For the small shop (read: action balancing and finish repairs in the same room) it works better for me than dealing with all that dust.  I curse enough when I buff keytops/capstans/etc. with my buffing wheels.

      William R. Monroe