[pianotech] Noise from strings after sustain pedal is depressed

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 20 13:35:37 PDT 2009

Be very careful Renee. You need a very sharp pair of scissors and you
need to do very accurate clips. The idea is that the wedge felt is
sticking too far through the strings.... but it needs to sit at least
barely through and very evenly so. If you get it wrong you wind up with
a string that doesn't damp.... and you need to replace the felt.

Another thing... this job really requires good knowledge and skill in
re-regulating dampers. You can not access the dampers well enough from
below unless you have a special pair of scissors... also very sharp, and
are routined at it.  Myself I gave up on that idea years ago and simply
remove them one at a time and clip them using the string marks as guides.

This is an easy job to get into trouble with.

Cheers
RicB

    Thanks so much for the information. I really appreciate it! Its a
    grand, over 2 meters in length. Its a bit of a job I guess....but no
    way around it as its in a studio.

    Renee