[pianotech] Appraisal

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Mar 20 14:36:28 PDT 2009

If they want full replacement value for their insurance, the value is
current NY retail for the same model:  $56,800 for a Satin Ebony, upwards
for other finishes.  If you are looking for a Fair Market Value (FMV), only
the appraiser can faithfully establish that, as you (the appraiser) are
responsible for checking every detail of the belly, action, finish,
trapwork, etc. and assessing its condition.  FMV also depends upon where you
live and what your local market will support to some degree.

In other words, as we tell our clients when they call, "I really can't tell
you without first seeing the instrument."  My gut says that if the
belly/trapwork/finish is original, and the action is new, depending upon the
quality of the job and parts, it might be worth somewhere between $15K and
$30K.  How's that for exacting?

William R. Monroe

--
William R. Monroe, RPT
A440-William R. Monroe Piano Services, Inc.