[pianotech] baldwin sf cracked bridges

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Mar 20 14:42:19 PDT 2009

There's no such thing as a bridge that can't be epoxied back together. That
being said, there's something to be said for putting a new cap on a cracked
bridge also. Depends a lot on the condition of the piano and how much the
owner is willing to spend on repairs.

At one end of the scale there are worn out old uprights that the owner is
just trying to limp along with for the least case outlay - a perfect
candidate for epoxy repair. At the other end of the scale there are
otherwise fine quality/condition pianos that would benefit best from a
proper bridge repair (likely a new cap).

The original construction of the bridge has no bearing on it being repaired
with a new bridge cap. If the owner wants a proper repair job and is willing
to pay for it, then the method Del outlined is the way to go.

Terry Farrell