[pianotech] Soundboard Lacquer Finish

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Mar 20 16:58:14 PDT 2009

Paul
?looks like amber shellac over a very white Engleman board from Bolduc. Nice color. ?It appears that Stwy used amber shellac on all their old pre 1950s?boards. Why brush on? I spray on one good wet coat as a sealer coat. Let dry over night & then?Scuff it, then spray on 2 good coats of sealer, sand it out & then 2 good wet coats of gloss lacquer.?Wet sand with 400,600, Then?water wet steel wool on an flat automotive rub out hand tool which hold sandpaper & steel wool beautifully. Nice straight lines. It has a handle.
? ?Hand polish with Maguire swirl remover & a t-shirt cloth folded with no seams or creases
? It's a pretty nice look. On the bottom I don't rub out. Let it shine
? Dale

Actually, here is a pic of a recent soundboard installation (bridges not yet sealed)...Mason AA...if you look closely, you can see the satin sheen result, and the color is just the way I like it, too.

?

Paul

?

?