[pianotech] Soundboard Lacquer Finish

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Mar 20 20:09:37 PDT 2009

I love the smell of varnish but am varnish impaired. I used it many years ago & on two occasions it completely Krinkled which meant I had to start over from the shellac base coat up. What a  mess! & then there is the dust and worse for me is the lengthy drying time before rub out. I don't have that much patience or time usually. It is a truly beautiful finish.
Dale

Definitely off the shelf.  I use Zinsser Bull’s Eye Seal Coat (brush on) since you can put lacquer or varnish over it.  My current varnish of choice is McCloskey Heirloom Varnish oil based which is a bit expensive but flows out really nicely.  My second favorite is Minwax Spar Urethane.  Doesn’t flow out quite as nice but dries a bit faster (the two go hand in hand).  Semi gloss or satin.  The flat finish doesn’t look as nice.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com