[pianotech] ideal shop size

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 05:08:02 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:04 PM, <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

> John
>
> As you say, what ever size shop you get, you'll fill it up. First, are you
> really going to get one or two other people to work in there with you, or is
> that just wishful thinking? It makes a big difference. Each person could use
> up to 500 square feet of work space, plus the extra instruments they'll be
> working on. That means you'll need a 2000 square foot building.

I really foresee mainly me working. However, it's possible I'd try to have
another person to help. There's a friend of mine who has mentioned several
times that he would like to change careers, and would be interested in
learning the trade. So, it's likely going to be just me. But I'd like to
"think ahead" just in case.

> My 12 x 36 shop was a Morgan portable building, with a big double door on
> one end, through which the pianos came, and a side door. (It was at the end
> of my driveway). I insulated it myself, and ran my own electric outlets and
> lights. It worked great for many years.

I've considered a portable building, too. At present, my thinking is that
the shop will look like a small house from the outside (siding, windows),
but have a couple of garage doors. It would be a garage with a couple
stalls, and have a small loft/apartment overhead. This way, it will be a
good addition to a residential area, and allow someone to build a house
adjacent, which can then be connected by a breezeway or something similar.
Then this could be converted to a garage rather easily. (The lot next to me
has come up for sale. I'd be building on the back side of the adjacent lot.
This questioning is to get an idea of costs before I plunge ahead with the
purchase and later building project.)

--
JF