[pianotech] ideal shop size

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 21 06:46:57 PDT 2009

Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft wrote:
> My shop is 40'X28' and works for me. Whatever size you select, I would
> make it in two separate sections. One side for dirty work. Sawing,
> sanding, drilling, (polishing polyester <G>) with good dust control. The
> other for regulating, stringing, damper work, storage, etc. I can
> work on 4 pianos in my space, but no more than that.
>
> Al

John,
I'd have fewer scars from the waist down if I'd had more room
to move between things. As you've seen, I have half a shop -
the dirty half. Clean work gets done in the dirty half as well
as dirty work. It's a (WAS a) two car garage, 19'x20'. With
the workbenches, shelving, furnace, cabinets, soundboard
drying box, killer wood pile, re-saw band saw, and dust
collector, the effective work space is about 14'x15'. Within
this space are another band saw, table saw, planer, and
assorted "floating" junque. The remainder is working space.
Through about half of the summer last year, that space
contained two Ds, and a B, all set up.

Point being that I'd LOVE three times the space, but having
less doesn't mean you can't function. I'd say if you can't
find room to work in 800-1000 feet, you ain't trying. Oh, and
go for about 10' ceiling height so you can hang tools, clamps,
or whatever, overhead as much as possible to keep the walls
from closing in on the work area. I wouldn't recommend this in
an earthquake zone, but you should be fine.
Ron N