[pianotech] sustain

Ed Carwithen edwcarw at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 21 10:09:47 PDT 2009

I have a problem with a new Kawai console piano. Maybe someone can help me diagnose the situation.

I am the only tech to have worked on this piano which is two years old.  The A6 A#6 notes have almost no sustain.  The owner did not notice this problem until just recently, and I did not notice this previously, so I have to assume this is something that has developed rather than inherent from the beginning.

These notes are above the dampers so that isn't part of the problem.   The notes below the A seem fine.  The notes above them seem fine.  There seems to be nothing inhibiting the strings themselves.  I can't see anything on the strings, or touching the strings to dampen the sound.  I tapped the strings to the bridge to be sure that the termination points were solid.  I put some solution on the hammers to harden them thinking that maybe the hammer felt might be too soft.  That didn't make any difference.  I then voiced with needles, and it seems to have made some minor improvement, but not enough.

It seems that two things would affect the sustain; something inhibiting the string resonance, or the hammer voicing.  I have tried to address both of these and haven't managed to solve it.

Any Ideas????

Ed Carwithen
John Day.