[pianotech] Tuning in a down economy

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 12:24:42 PDT 2009

Here Here! I think many piano technicians are, by nature, lousy business
people (my self included!). I definitely have had to learn things the hard
way and am continuing to learn more very year. Having graduated from a
hard-core liberal arts college I started into this with a pretty strong
anti-business mentality. Luckily I also had developed a fairly open mind and
over time I have absorbed a tremendous amount from the many successful
technicians that I have had the pleasure to interact with through PTG. It
doesn't take too long to discover who the top-notch techs are in any given
geographical region. How do they run their businesses? What is their service
philosophy? How do they dress? etc.

David, I appreciate your comment about "looking at your level of
disorganization with a cold and detached eye". For my wife and I, we have
been practicing putting aside our "employee attitude" and putting on our
"managerial attitude". This mentality has really helped when deciding how to
set our rates. Even though most of us own our own businesses we often think
like an employee. We worry that if we charge more our clients will be
disappointed or resentful. We wonder if we are really worth it. It can be
really helpful to turn off that part of ourselves and take the "cold and
detached eye" look. When we put on our CEO hat and realize that we have an
obligation to our stockholders (in this case ourselves and our families)
some decisions become easier. Then we simply tell our employee self what to
do and their job is to follow orders. I know this sounds kind of
schizophrenic, but I think it is really helpful.

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:34 AM, David Andersen <
david at davidandersenpianos.com> wrote:

> My treasured mentor and colleague T. Servinsky has identified two crucial
> aspects of a successful small business:1. Your business'  brand ( in this
> case, Tom) has a general perception in the community as giving, caring good
> guys.
> 2. Your business'  brand HAS a general perception in the community because
> you MAKE EFFORT to get your business in front of as many eyes as possible
> WITH THE SAME LEVEL OF EXCELLENCE AS YOU EMPLOY TO TUNE OR REGULATE. I
> really can't emphasize this enough. A successful small business REQUIRES a
> commitment to marketing beyond word of mouth if you want to grow and get
> better quality work. It's a BITCH to work on pianos all day then try to
> build a business by doing all the other things you need to do "after work."
> The soul rebels. That's why you should:
> 1. STOP being penny-wise and pound-foolish and take one morning a week and
> do nothing but build relationships and market yourself. Each one of us has a
> custom business style. Within that style is a set of marketing protocols
> that you can enjoy and employ. Be creative; don't do something that feels
> stupid to you; be practical and prudent; but DO IT. This is the time.
> 2. STOP being penny-wise and pound-foolish and hire some part-time help at
> $10-15/hour to help you get organized. You can't imagine what a help this
> can be with the right hire. It restarted my entire career. Be honest with
> yourself; look at your level of disorganization with a cold and detached
> eye, then do something about it. In battle, those who hesitate are often
> soon dead.
> David Andersen

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter