[pianotech] Soundboard Lacquer Finish

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 21 12:27:20 PDT 2009

We still do, this is why my bridges are black on top! <G>. (OK, based on previous posts taken literaly, please note that this was a vain attempt at "humor").(Also, with our black plate accents, I like the contrast). Except, I've been using black lacquer instead of DAG because I agree with Ron that the friction across the top of the bridge is negligable.  I put a very light coat of Deft (satin) on the raw wood followed by a light coat of gloss black lacquer (both sprayed). After notching and pinning, I shoot the bridge body and top with satin Deft. This provides a nice deep satin black on the caps and the black doesn't get pulled into the notch side cuts because of the intital sealer coat.

Gary Telleen has been finishing our boards with a catalyzed polyurethane designed for wood application. It is an amazing finish.  If anyone wants details, maybe we can pull Gary into the conversation.  I've used several finishes on boards throught the years but began using polyurethane about 10 years ago and this has been my finish of choice. I like the fact that it is a bit more flexible than lacquer and, so far, appears to have a longer life span.

                Michael Spreeman
http://www.spreemanpianoinnovations.com

 I've suspected for