[pianotech] young chang status

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sat Mar 21 15:29:07 PDT 2009

As far as I know the company is sound. Yes, there was some floundering around
just before, during and after the Samick fiasco but since being purchased by
Hyundai things have been improving. I would guess production is down just now as
it is for most piano makers but, since their largest market is in Asia I don't
know how the economic mess over here has affected them.

A lot of money has been poured into the factories. There is a smaller factory in
Inchon, Korea and a larger one in Tianjin, China. There is also a recently
renovated iron foundry near Tianjin where they are vacuum casting all of the
plates for the smaller pianos and sand-casting the plates for the larger grands.
They also do some casting for other piano makers.

The company has been working through the designs of their three largest grands,
a couple of their verticals and plans are being made (last I heard) to tackle
their smaller grands.

ddf
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant