[pianotech] Faulk tuning hammer review

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 18:49:12 PDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 7:30 PM, David Andersen <
david at davidandersenpianos.com> wrote:

> As do I.DA

David, you've used the Fujan, right?  How does the new Faulk compare?

I'm not seeing how it could be stiffer than a hollow CF tube the diameter of
a Fujan (or Gluzman). Rigidity comes from the large diameter of the hollow
cylinder -- not from the fact that it's merely a CF rod. The smaller the CF
rod or tube, the more flex it will have.

In other words, even if you do put a 1/2" CF rod in a 5/8" hollow aluminum
tube -- it still isn't as stiff as a Fujan.  Unless there is some
(unknown-to-me) coupling effect from the two used together. And unless it's
made quite a bit shorter.  If it's shorter, there won't be as
much noticeable flex. But then, you'd get that same effect in greater
proportion with the larger diameter CF tube if you used a shorter piece
there.

I'm haven't seen a new Faulk lever yet. Nor do I know the actual dimensions
of the materials used.  (I'm not an engineer, but I've played around with
some numbers some time ago.)  I know it's all about how it feels; numbers
don't tell everything, but they do help.

I await enlightenment. <G>

--
JF