[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Mar 22 14:17:39 PDT 2009

At 15:21 -0700 21/3/09, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>I don't really like treble bridges that are 24 to 25 mm tall. I want
>to end up with a bridge height of at least 30 mm at C-88.

I'd say that is very conservative.

In 1916, Wolfenden wrote:-
______________________________
"For many years, both long and bass bridges were cut out of 1 in.
[25.4mm] beech, and were often finished under 7/8 in. [22.2mm] in
height, but of late the long bridge, by general tacit consent, stands
at 1-15/16 in. [33.3 mm] to 1-1/2 in. [38.1mm] above the belly, and
the bass bridge from 3/4 in. to over 7/8 in. higher still.

No definite proportion between the tension of the strings and the
height of the bridge has been discovered.  It would not be surprising
were it to be found that a further increase in height was of
advantage."
______________________________

In fact one English maker had already been building uprights and
grands with a bridge 42 - 44 mm in height for nearly 50 years before
this was written, having changed from a 1" bridge as soon as the low
tension pianos were discontinued in favour of the modern scaling with
the new wire.  And these pianos are, without exception in my
experience, powerful, clear and subtle with excellent sustain.

I would go so far as to guess that, all else being equal, the taller
the bridge the better.  The few pianos I have, both upright and
grand, that have bridges over 35mm in height, all have well-designed
string scales with moderate tensions (ca. 160 lb.), and all of them
are outstanding.

JD