[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Mon Mar 23 17:13:00 PDT 2009

Well, JD, you certainly are a good salesman for the concept.  I was
certainly left with a positive impression of the 6' 7" Kimball Viennese
edition sustain and volume, it's many other flaws notwithstanding.  I am
thinking more and more that I will be wanting to raise the bridge height on
this Steinway A.  The bridge height at note 88 is about 25.5 mm, about 28
around note 70, 30 at note 40, and 33 just below note 21 (it's a 20 note
bass piano). Del's practice is to take 88 up to at least 30 mm.

There are some things associated with making the change of the plate
elevation that must accompany the taller bridge that I want to have a better
sense of.  One, the higher string plane will likely necessitate the use of
new damper wire, as the old may be too short, yes?

The other concern that I have is the need for a longer hammer bore that must
accompany the change to the string plane height. Not the boring or
calculating of the measure - I've been doing that for over 20 years - but
rather the low entrance into the action cavity that Steinways have at the
bottom of the stretcher.  As you know, there is often scant clearance for
the hammer drop screws, which leaves little room to raise the action stack
if that becomes part of the overall equation.  Of concern too is whether the
longer bored hammers will fit under the stretcher if I have added 4 or 5 mm
to the bore distance even though the bottoms of the shanks are pressing into
the hammer rest felt. I can see it now - go to all the trouble of raising
the bridge, installing the soundboard, stringing the piano, and boring the
hammers - and not being able to slide the action into the cavity.  Saturday
night, all dressed up, with nowhere to go.

I hope others who have experience doing this on Steinways are following the
thread here and will chime in with the benefit of their experience.

Will Truitt