[pianotech] Willis Snyder

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 18:09:05 PDT 2009

But Dale, how could you talk about Willis’ bow tie and leave out the tuxedo that he so often wore to these conventions?

  Yes  Will...of course...Thanks for setting me straight.  Now if I could just get the spell checker to work.

I always attended Willis and David’s classes whenever I could.  I gained an immense amount of knowledge from them, but I think the greatest influence Willis had on me was to leave a deep impression of what it means to be a real piano “craftsman” – how important it was, and why it should be so much of who we are.  And to begin to reach for things that seemed far from my grasp as a piano technician at that time.  There simply was an uncompromising integrity to his work and person.

 all True, all True!

The older I get, the more I am struck by the quality of company I have been able to keep as a piano technician and rebuilder.  To have had the opportunity to have met Willis and experienced his person and knowledge I consider a privilege and a blessing.

 Dittos...Dale

My humble thanks to you Willis, wherever you are.

Will Truitt

Dear Colleagues
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood.
  I too have benefited from the Wisdom Of Willis & son David. It was at a pivotal point in my life in the mid 80's I again attended their class. I never missed theirclass.
    They w
ere/are first class techs & first class human beings. Generously sharing their vast experience. They were on the cutting edge when nobody knew what it was. They made me realize what was possible, & Willis adorned with that snazzy bow tie, struttin around so elegantly, made it seem all enormously attractive. He humbly & seriously said they worked along time to get the reputation they had & he underscored that. He said it wasn't until they restored the Dupont piano that their name really took off. I always remember fondly of Willis, saying with a big smile how privileged he was to tune pianos & drive his ( I think it was a Cadillac) car with the top down to his clients house.
 But the parting statement I will never forget by Willis that day has changed my life & I will always be grateful to Him for it. It was a Light bulb revelational moment when he said Gentleman....Aim for the high end!.... And that has made all the difference
  All my Respect to the family & to his his memory
  Kindest regards
  Dale Erwin