[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Tue Mar 24 05:37:00 PDT 2009

This is the area of the scale that would likely most benefit
from higher bridge stiffness and mass, yet the bridge is shorter and
correspondingly less stiff.  And the addition of the same amount of bridge
thickness will effect a larger percentage of change in the treble compared
to lower down in the scale.

I'm not sure the benefits are necessarily so local. We've addressed the why so as to the how? Well I deduce that a stiffer bridge simply helps to distribute the load of the individual unisons more equitably upon the diaphram. How this exactly translates into a more efficient transducer I can only speculate, although it makes sense to me.

If the only changes that need to be made in the action to accommodate
changes in bridge height on the topside bridge are the hammer bore distance,
and there are no other attendant penalties; then it would remain the
simplest possible way to effect the desired change.

Will

Of course, changing the bore distance does affect the entire action leverage...

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545