[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Mar 24 17:36:33 PDT 2009

The thickness of the pinblock is increased. Not necessarily by the full
amount--the plate can also be raised by installing shims under each end of the
block. I make the pinblock uniformly thick across its width so the plate height
is also uniform across the width of the piano. And if I shim I install the same
thickness shim under both the treble end and the bass end of the block.

The string height is raised--at least in the treble. I can't tell you if the
string height will be raised in the low tenor or bass. A little, probably, but
how much depends on how the original plate was set. They often have quite a
slant to them.

No, you are not adding 5 mm all along the treble bridge. I generally do not
raise the tail of the plate much, if at all.   By mid-tenor you will probably
not be adding much at all to the original height. Occasionally you'll be taking
some height off. Remember that the original downbearing settings in these pianos
were quite variable depending on the climate conditions at the time the piano
was assembled.

ddf