[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Tue Mar 24 18:50:56 PDT 2009

I agree in spirit while I take issue with your premise. Perhaps I'm too hung up on symantics but to answer the question truthfully, does a change in string height that is matched in a change of hammer bore affect the leverage? The answer is undeniably yes. Granted a 5mm string ht/hammerbore change might only reflect a change of a few tenths per unit of action leverage. As to whether the change is significant or anymore of a factor than any other inconsistency within a piano from note to note is another matter. My point is to encourage accurate statements and to define the parameters in which we are working. To encourage changing string heights without a discussion of the affects on entrance height and action geometry is risky. It's tricky business, fer sure.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545