[pianotech] CA glue technique on grand

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Mar 25 06:48:28 PDT 2009

First of all, Dryburgh, at least, is no longer selling the odorless,
as, according to him, it didn't work as well.  Second, the Odorless
was just as irritating to those susceptible, however its molecular
weight was heavier, so it tended to sink to the floor, rather than
waft around.  Third, fans don't work, unless you have both a pull and
push fan, but even then, if you are not venting the fumes, you will
just recirculate them, and they will get you.  A single fan just
creates turbulence around the work area, but does not remove the
fumes.  That includes the ODORLESS.  John Page (belatedly responding
to Mike Magness's memory) was the one who suggested the vacuum with
TWO hoses, the second exhausting out the window.  That is the ONLY
way I will do these projects in the future, as I have had TWO
respiratory episodes (not the skin), the second one after using a
cartridge respirator and fan.  I have a beard, which compromises any
partial face mask, but I was hoping.

I think that any future discussion of CA techniques on this list
should include a warning/reminder.  Some of you may, in fact, be
immune to its effects, or at least think you are, until your bodies
say "enough".  After that, even the thought of CA will generate a
reaction! sort of.  I admit, the warning on a cigarette package does
little to deter anyone who wants to smoke, but it keeps the Surgeon
General busy...you know - signing all those packs.

Hope you're feeling better Grebe.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY