[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Mar 25 07:59:24 PDT 2009

I'm not sure what your responding to exactly.  The goal is a uniform string
height  and a "slightly" graduated or even bridge height such that at the
treble end it is tall enough so as not to compromise tonal output.  The
question was if you had to raise the string height in order to achieve that
would you change the leverage.  Whether you do or not seems to have entered
the realm of picking nits and gotten complicated by the fact that on many
pianos because of the plate characteristics it is impossible to achieve both
of those goals.  So, in practice, even if it does change the leverage (and
I'm not convinced that it does) I don't think it changes it enough to not
make the necessary plate adjustment which was really the point of my initial
comment.  It's all getting a bit muddled at this point.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com