[pianotech] Managing agraffes was Increasing bridge height

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 25 08:07:58 PDT 2009

erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:
>  I too thought why not machine the plate a small amount to lower the
> elevations.  Any body have any thought about that?

It's certainly possible, but would take building some jigging
to do it. How important is it - really?

>   The curving string plane onStwy/other plates is so prevalent &
> reliable that it must be intentional...
>   Hmm Reminds me of a Ron-ism,,, " A Factory screw up we can sell as a
> feature"? or some such. Close enough Ron?
>   Dale

I can't say for sure, but I doubt it was intentional since so
few other things in the product seem to be. I suspect it's a
casting shrinkage artifact of their plate design. They haven't
tried to sell it as a feature, so they must consider it to be
below the radar with all the other random manifestations like
action ratios, shank traveling, string height, stack
placement, speaking lengths, crown, bearing, and other such
inconsequentials. "Close enough" pretty well sums it up.
Ron N