[pianotech] Managing agraffes was Increasing bridge height

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 25 08:21:23 PDT 2009

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano wrote:

Exactly!

> In the case of these particularly nasty string height sections, what are
> our options?

Fix what you can, within your self imposed tolerances, and
compensate for what you can't fix within your self imposed
limits of time and money. Each individual approach to each
individual job will have it's own distinct personality.

> Although somewhat unsightly, what about adding washers or dressing the
> bottom of the agraffes' base?

Why not? Manufacturers did/do.

> Do you feel it necessary to tighten the agraffes down. When is too
> tight? Any torque specifications.

I tighten them. No torque specs, but something under 45° from
finger snug to square and seated.

> One idea I've been messing with is not going so tight and using a bit of
> thread lock. As I understand the strength of threaded bolts, full
> strength is reached before a bolt is fully cinched down anyway. I'll try
> to get some torque measurements of what I mean.
>
> Comments appreciated...
>
> Jude Reveley, RPT

The (thankfully few) instances of broken agraffe studs I see
are usually the flat bottomed shoulder with the threads
stopping short. The agraffe was either forced down past where
the threads were actually cut, or not quite seated at all, or
both. Or they were seated and just cranked too far past snug
on a shoulder that didn't deform to meet them half way. Modern
agraffes with the undercut shoulder are much more forgiving.
Ron N