[pianotech] Increasing bridge height

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Mar 25 18:34:55 PDT 2009

Hi Ron:

I'm at home and not at the shop, so I'm trying to do this from memory.  I
believe #21 is 193 mm. If you want the rest of the measures at the section
ends, I'll get that tomorrow.

"I'm still trying to figure out where you plan to set the plate and bridge
heights, and why. Are you planning on boring hammers to accommodate what's
there without changing bridge or plate heights?"

Changing bridge heights is why I started this thread, and the whole point
was to explore the ramifications of increasing the bridge height in targeted
areas. I'm putting a new board in this piano, and wanted to explore this for
the many reasons already discussed.  I have not fixed yet where it will end
up, but it looks like I will raise the high treble end from 25 mm to 32 or
33 mm.  At note 21 the present bridge height is 33 mm. and I will likely
make the bridge along its length fairly consistent in height.  I will not be
using vertical hitch pins, however, so the finished bridge heights will have
to accommodate targeted downbearing values as well as the curvature of the
plate. I still have not yet pulled the plate as I have just begun teardown,
so I have a lot more groundwork to lay before I know where my feet are.

It's premature for me to try to get into the whys and how much, as I am
still learning as much as I can before proceeding (and I have learned a
great deal from all of you so far, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!)

Whatever values I end up with on the finished bridge, I will still likely
end up tapering the bore, The bore will be derived from the measured string
heights of the strung piano after all modifications.  The taper could at
least be partially mitigated if I end up tilting the plate down in the bass
and up in the treble to help level the string plane out (as Jude has
suggested). I will likely be changing both plate and bridge heights, so
obviously the original string heights serve only as a starting point and
frame of reference.

I don't know if it matters if the bore is a tad shorter or longer.  What
qualifies as a "tad"?  Does 6.5 mm. difference within the treble string
plane qualify as a tad?

"Play better".  I can't speak for Bruce Clark, and it would not be fair to
attribute this to him verbatim as what I quoted is my second hand recounting
in my class notes.  I think it would be best to leave the explanation of
that to him at another time.

Will