[pianotech] tips, tuning pin ends

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Thu Mar 26 06:58:04 PDT 2009

Hi Kent,

I believe that best tuning tips are made on a computer controlled cutting
device, so a number 2 tip from a particular maker should be very nearly
identical from tip to tip. However, tips do wear over time. I have two
Wantebee #2 tips--on different levers. The one I use "all the time" and a
backup. The backup now fits differently.

At 06:21 AM 3/26/2009 -0500, you wrote:

>On Mar 25, 2009, at 9:06 PM, David Nereson wrote:I would imagine the ends
>of tuning pins vary as much as the tips made to fit them.
>

>Of course you are correct to point out that the shapes of tuning pins vary
>pin to pin.
>As a practical matter, wouldn't it be easier to control the outside shape
>of a tuning pin than to control the inside shape of a tuning tip? I suspect
>tuning tips vary more than pins.
>

>Kent
> No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
>18:54:00