[pianotech] Fixing stripped screws

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Thu Mar 26 06:51:01 PDT 2009

>I always have Titebond and shoepegs/broken shanks with me.

I always have Bolduc wood glue and leather/suede with me.
It is a superior repair to wooden dowels or any variety of
end grain.

Dowels, shanks, shoe pegs, toothpicks and such will break into
tiny pieces when the threads of the screw cut into them and you
will end up with a compromised anchoring. There is no strength
to the material with that grain orientation, even without mincing.

Leather or suede will compress and form new threads as the
glue solidifies. Of course the best repair would be to install a plug
cut with the proper grain orientation and to redrill a pilot hole.

Don't waste your time and muck up the hole with long, end grain material.

Regards,

Jon Page