[pianotech] Fixing stripped screws

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 07:27:48 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Jon Page <jonpage at comcast.net> wrote:

>  I always have Titebond and shoepegs/broken shanks with me.
>

> I always have Bolduc wood glue and leather/suede with me.
> It is a superior repair to wooden dowels or any variety of
> end grain.
>
> Dowels, shanks, shoe pegs, toothpicks and such will break into
> tiny pieces when the threads of the screw cut into them and you
> will end up with a compromised anchoring. There is no strength
> to the material with that grain orientation, even without mincing.
>
> Leather or suede will compress and form new threads as the
> glue solidifies. Of course the best repair would be to install a plug
> cut with the proper grain orientation and to redrill a pilot hole.
>
> Don't waste your time and muck up the hole with long, end grain material.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page

I actually add enough glue that the threads form in the glue and wood, I
don't crank them over tight, depending on the glue set to complete the hold,
these repairs are primarily on case parts that are frequemtly
removed/replaced.
I have repairs I've done in this fashion that are 20 and 30 years old that I
haven't had to redo or had a pile of sawdust come out on my next visit.
On more important repairs, such as the lockbar that was ripped off of the C3
at a school, I used my plugcutter and cut plugs from a piece of hard maple.
Ground off the screw end of a spiral bit to obtain a flat hole deeper than
the originals, cheaper than ruining one of my forstner bits, glued them in
place. Found new slightly longer screws and had to grind the tips off to the
proper length and reinstalled the lockbar. A few drops of epoxy in the
bottom of the pre-drilled holes to secure the screws, so the little darlings
couldn't remove them!

I will try the leather CA method on my next particle board cabinet screw
problem.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404