[pianotech] tips, tuning pin ends

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Thu Mar 26 10:33:22 PDT 2009

I think the whole fit problem pretty obviously goes back to an
historical absence of standards in our industry. Machine tools such as
drill presses and lathes for a century have had spindles made with
precise, dependable tapers, to precisely, dependably fit tooling which
had to be changed fast and frequently. Anybody who has changed a chuck
has probably appreciated the ubiquitous implementation of standard Morse
and Jacob tapers.

Unfortunately for us, it's too late to impose standards now, that bird
has flown. I suppose tuning pin manufacturers _could_ decide to
cooperate and define a standard taper for future tuning pins, but whose
definition would prevail? But, hey, it would be nice ...

-Mark Schecter