[pianotech] Piano terminology gaffs (was: How I got fiber out of my butt flange)

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 09:51:44 PDT 2009

While on  this subject there are a couple of favorites that get told in our
chapter from time to time:

One member had taken the keys out of an upright for recovering and
rebushing. Since it was a spinet, he didn't want to put the action back in
the piano so he asked the lady where a safe place to put it would be. She
put it in the back bedroom. When he returned some time later with the
repaired keys he innocently asked the lady: "Is the action still in the
bedroom?". Red faces and chuckles followed!

The other is from a technician I know who does nice hand rubbed finishes on
pianos. A lady who was interested in refinishing her piano called and he
gave her a couple of different quotes on different finish options. She
called later and asked "How much again for the hand job?"

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter